"" The Teacher in Me: Growing Plants in the Classroom: Hydroponics!

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Growing Plants in the Classroom: Hydroponics!

My last science kit goes back to the science center tomorrow, but I have to admit we have had a blast with this one.  Usually, I grow bush beans hydroponically because that is what the science kit calls for, but this year, my bush beans weren't germinating so hot!  I decided to try all of the seeds that we germinate in our minisprouters to see if they could be grown hydroponically as well.  I must say.....they can be!  We have growing in our tanks bush beans, peas, corn, and sunflowers.  I know I'm nuts, but I absolutely get a huge thrill out of watching plants grow day to day.  Below you'll see photos of our plants from May 23 and then again from May 28.  AMAZING!  Also, if you closely you'll see tadpoles swimming around in the bottom of the bush bean and sunflower tanks.  One of my students brought them in to show the class so we decided to add them in to our science lessons.  Why not! It's all about life cycles anyways.  LOL
May 23, 2013 Sunflowers, Beans, Peas, Corn
May 28, 2013

May 23, 2013 Peas


May 28 Peas

May 28 Bush Beans
May 23, 2013 Bush Beans
May 23, 2013 Sunflowers with tadpoles
May 28 Sunflowers with tadpoles




Corn May 28
Close up of our tadpoles

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover