"" The Teacher in Me: Classroom Management: Tally Charts for the desk

Monday, March 4, 2013

Classroom Management: Tally Charts for the desk

I don't know about you all but my kids have lost a little bit of their memories.  They have forgotten the rules of the classroom.  I have to admit that I too have lost my memory as well.  I have forgotten to reinforce the rules as I know I should.  Positive reinforcement had gone right out the door after Christmas.  It was all business, but I absolutely know that if the kids are not following the rules less time is getting spent on teaching and more time is spent on disciplining.  At the beginning of the year, I placed a laminated small square paper on each desk.  I call the paper their tally chart.  When students are following the rules, I tell them to give themselves a tally.  When students earn 5 tallies, they are rewarded by moving up on my behavior chart.  If a student doesn't follow the rules, they lose a tally.  If that means they no longer have 5 tallies, they move their clip back down the chart.  I used to believe in not taking away from students like this, but it has worked so far.  Below is a picture of my chart . 




What's great about the tally charts is that they are colored coded and they have different symbols on them.  I use them to call students to the door to line up or for small groups.  I call all the reds, the lassos, etc. 


Classroom Freebies Manic Monday

2 comments:

  1. I like this idea. I've debated, too, about whether or not to take away points for these kinds of things. Have you had a situation where a student didn't have any left to take away? I'm not sure how I'd handle that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always struggle with behavior and how much to reward or punish. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover