"" The Teacher in Me: Read Alouds: Holocaust in third grade??

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Read Alouds: Holocaust in third grade??



I have a wonderful parent who comes in every Friday to read to my students.  She read Frindle, Harriet Tubman, and Number the Stars.  My students have taken such an interest in the books, especially the last one about the Holocaust.  I was a little nervous about her reading such a touchy subject to third graders but the book was written in such a tasteful manner.  I have personally read the book Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen and would love to now read it to my students, but I am nervous that it may be too much.  It is about a young girl who is transported back to the time of the Holocaust.  She  takes on the persona of a young girl from that time but has all of her memories from the future.  It is an amazing story!  I am having a hard time finding my copy of it though so I am going to trek to the library and see if I can get it there. I did find it on Amazon, but I really want to read it now. I'm not very patient. LOL

2 comments:

  1. I think it's wonderful to let our kids be more socially aware. I think they would be less me,me,me if we gave them more chances like that to feel a connection to kids who have had it so rough. You are doing a great job! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for you kind comments! I agree with you they need to feel that connection to the outside world.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover