"" The Teacher in Me: Number Sense: Understanding Base 10

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Number Sense: Understanding Base 10

Although one may not know it from my blog posts as a whole, my passion in teaching is definitely math.  It is imperative to me that children understand (conceptualize) the mathematics we asking them to learn.  My biggest reason for this is because as a kid I had no clue.  I could absolutely follow the rules and procedures that I was given but when I made a mistake, I didn't understand the reason why I made the mistake.  I am ashamed to admit this but I didn't fully understand base 10 until I was in my college elementary math class.  I can remember learning about regrouping and the concept hit me square in the face! (Thank you Miss Marilyn!)  I do not want my students to leave my classroom just knowing a set of rules and procedures.  I want them to be thinkers and problem solvers.  I want them to understand the mathematics and be able to apply it to any given situation it calls for.  I am huge proponent of Pearson's Investigations curriculum.  This is not because I think they are the best in the business but only because I fully believe in how they present the mathematics to children.  It is researched based and it works.  I am going to try to start making some new products that coincide with the concepts in the program.  The following which I've already placed on here is one I made last week.  Also check out the number check-up.  It is a great way to assess number concepts or just review basic concepts.


 Teachers Pay Teachers Store     
  Teachers Notebook Store







 Teachers Pay Teachers Store
Teachers Notebook Store
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover