"" The Teacher in Me: Number Sense: Understanding Base 10

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Number Sense: Understanding Base 10

Although one may not know it from my blog posts as a whole, my passion in teaching is definitely math.  It is imperative to me that children understand (conceptualize) the mathematics we asking them to learn.  My biggest reason for this is because as a kid I had no clue.  I could absolutely follow the rules and procedures that I was given but when I made a mistake, I didn't understand the reason why I made the mistake.  I am ashamed to admit this but I didn't fully understand base 10 until I was in my college elementary math class.  I can remember learning about regrouping and the concept hit me square in the face! (Thank you Miss Marilyn!)  I do not want my students to leave my classroom just knowing a set of rules and procedures.  I want them to be thinkers and problem solvers.  I want them to understand the mathematics and be able to apply it to any given situation it calls for.  I am huge proponent of Pearson's Investigations curriculum.  This is not because I think they are the best in the business but only because I fully believe in how they present the mathematics to children.  It is researched based and it works.  I am going to try to start making some new products that coincide with the concepts in the program.  The following which I've already placed on here is one I made last week.  Also check out the number check-up.  It is a great way to assess number concepts or just review basic concepts.


 Teachers Pay Teachers Store     
  Teachers Notebook Store







 Teachers Pay Teachers Store
Teachers Notebook Store

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover